Monday, January 23, 2012

Barbershop vs Opera

Letter in my inbox:

I'm having vocal difficulty while singing Barbershop Tenor or Lead. I sing flat sometimes, and it really bothers me just how fast that I can drop in pitch. I struggle with it constantly. It's one of the main things that we're working on in my vocal training. Also, my voice cracks a lot more than it use to. We're working on that too.

Should I go back to singing tenor? or Lead? or not at all? I'm told that I should not push at all in barbershop tenor. I'm not sure that style of singing is compatible with my classical training. I love classical singing, but I also love barbershop. My voice teachers think that my voice is better suited for classical. I want to make myself happy, but I love to make others happy as well.

Yours, T.


They are right: you do not push at all singing barbershop tenor... or any other part, either. It strains the muscles and sound, is not pleasant, and often under pitch. You hear singers doing that in both styles of music, and it's unpleasant in both.

Yes, I do sing both classical and barbershop, and do well at both. The "Do Not Strain" rule is true in both classical and barbershop. so is "Beauty At All Costs." You have to make them come true for yourself. No director or coach can MAKE you do it. They can remind you, yes, but you still, every note, have to do it yourself.

I see only a few reasons to choose one style over the other. One is what suits your personal voice best. Luciano Pavarotti is a fabulous opera tenor. That voice as barbershop tenor, or even lead would not be a good fit. There is also the matter of availability of opportunities and competition for performing spots in your area: If you have many opportunities to sing and perform in one role and few in another, that will be a factor on what to chose. Another reason is time. Every minute you are working on barbershop tenor, you are not learning classical or operatic literature and technique. You might only have the time to master one. Which do you chose? What fits best. If you have all the time you want, do both.

Yes, there are different techniques... you have to consciously shift back and forth - chest, head, heavy, light, full, falsetto - between styles and within styles. Do both? Sure. just realize it's two separate studies with much in common and some at odds. Keep them straight, you will do fine.

The last part - you need NOT make a permanent decision. Ever. Try both. Try one. Try neither. Change you mind. It's all good. What makes you happiest? What makes more of everyone else on the planet happiest? If you make a wrong choice, as long as you don't burn any bridges, all is well.

Yours, Gary Shannon
I teach online voice lessons! www.voice-mentor.com My passion: Your art.

2 comments:

Gary Shannon said...

From T, by e-mail:

Thanks for the wealth of information! You answered a lot of my questions, and a few things I did ask, but wondered about.

I do have a lot of time to practice both styles because my job allows it, even if I work long hours in a fairly high stressful and energy consuming job, and I'm pushing 60. Right now, barbershop seems to be more relaxing and enjoyable than the higher rigors and commitment levels of classical rehearsals and performances. Barbershop will probably become the priority and I think that I'd like to go back to tenor without the pushing.

Gary Shannon said...

My reply:

First, take care you are not fatiguing your voice with all your singing during the day. Usually I find that fatigue (vocal, mental, and/or physical) is a factor if a singer is constantly "pushing" and voice is unstable. Age exacerbates that.

About 1987, I had similar problems. My day job involved 6 hours of telephone work every day. To solve, I swapped some job duties with another person in my department, AND made my speaking voice lighter and more sing-song AND cutting back on my personal singing. End of problems.

So, try singing less during the day, especially on days of rehearsal or performance. See what it does for you.

All the best.