Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's a gruesome story: arts groups closing all over now. I've lost one already (online singing lessons group I work for closed their doors 6 months ago. I went solo on it.) and almost lost another one that I'll share about.

Last year, Portland Symphonic Choir got to the run up for the last concert of the season. We had taken losses on every event that year, including a "fund-raising" concert we had hired a huge name in classical music to front for us. Six weeks before the end of the season, we learned that we (120 singers plus 12 board members and staff) had to raise $100,000 inside of six weeks to break even.

Well, long story short, we did it. We did the usual ask the group for pledges, but it wasn't just pledges from us. We aided singers in creating solo recitals (I was on the production team) for family and friends, donation to the PSC. We made challenge grants for each other. We made impromptu auctions every rehearsal. I sold a dinner for eight with a soiree and delivered it on Valentines week this year. In short, we made a miracle. A blessed miracle.

This year, we cut our budget by 100,000. One planned concert bit the dust. I music managed a soiree event for 60 people on Halloween week - and helped raise $10,000. We're coming up on the "fundraiser" again - this time the Mozart Requiem and two other short Mozart choral/orchestral works - and we are ahead of target on ticket sales. If you are in Portland, Friday March 13, you will hear a superb and impassioned performance. Is it worth the work? YES!

The first lesson I give my students, often even before I meet them is this:

~~~ Sing! ~~~~
~~~~~~ Sing Often! ~~~~~
~~~~~ It doesn't matter WHAT you sing ~~~~~
~~~~~~It matters THAT you sing.~~~~~

(Oh, that's for you. And all you other non-singing singing Pezheads, too.)


Survival is possible for non-profit arts, but Lord, it's hard work and it takes luck and expertise, both. There is nothing I'd rather be doing.

No comments: