Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Singing in the Car

Dear Gary,

I'm trying to do the "45 minutes 3 times a week thing" to improve my voice.
Any time I drive alone I sing along with my cd's and will certainly keep up that practice adding a practice or two at home. I don't have a piano so I was wondering are there any cd's available for practicing scales etc? If so where might I find one and is there any particular one you would recommend?

Holly


Hi Holly!

You ask great questions!

Singing in a car works to a point, but it's not my favorite. Personally, when I am concentrating on really singing, I am not a good driver. Since I'd rather keep myself and the other drivers safe, I don't usually count on or do car-singing as real singing except as a light warm-up.

There are thousands of CD's of scales and singing exercises out there, and I've not researched all of them. A singer's warm-up and training needs change almost week-to-week. The few times I've used an singing exercise CD, even a good one, I don't sing as well as I do when I'm singing at my own pace.

Listening and singing to song tracks recorded by good singers is a good tool, especially if the singer had mastered something you are trying to master, too. So, dig through your favorite CD's, put one in the player and sing along. It counts as a workout. Just... drive safely.

Yours, Gary

No comments: